Thursday, June 4, 2009

Too many drugs; too many side effects

If someone had told me that one day I would be downing a handful of pharmaceuticals to combat a debilitating disease, I would not have believed it. I am still getting used to the routine – and the side effects. Especially irritability, constant hunger and slight shakes. That’s partially why the pics I’ve shot are so…bad.

So, here’s what I take:

Prednisone, 50 milligram daily; methotrexate, 10 milligrams once a week (Tuesdays)

These drugs are just toxic. Prednisone is a steroid and methotrexate is a chemo drug, given to cancer patients to fight aggressive malignant tumors. Both are being used to stem the onslaught of granulomas trying to wreck my heart and lungs.

And they make me feel like shit. The prednisone side effects I am experiencing include fatigue, weakness, occasional hip pain, acne, sleeplessness, weight gain, the dreaded moonface (yes, I'm vain, dammit. I do not like the way I look right now. It was bad enough when I just felt like shit. Now...), nervousness, increase in appetite and – sometimes - hyperactivity.

Methotrexate? Dizziness; headache; stomach upset; tiredness. Hey, at least I am not vomiting up a substance that looks like coffee grinds. That is a listed side effect, too.

Doctors treat the symptomatically, since it is not always feasible to stop prednisone or methotrexate administration. Science has determined that the benefits of the life-saving drugs outweigh the side effects. So, since my side effects are considered mild, I deal.

But wait, there is more.

Adavair 250/50 twice daily; Combivent daily and Fluticasone Propionate, once daily. All snorted to help with breathing and allergies

Carvedilol 50 mgs twice daily; hydralazine 50 mgs three times daily; and lisinopril 40 mg once a day. For high blood pressure. I have hypertension, but it was under control with only 25 mgs of Carvedilol before I started talking Prednisone! .That's why I am taking so much more of the Coreg knockoff.

Folic acid 10 mg daily…to safeguard healthy cells against the ravages of methotrexate.

There’s more the docs want me to take, but I think this is enough right now. The drugs are working well, but they are making me feel ragged. I don’t want to deal with any more. Not right now anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone
    to do it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. appreciate it

    Feel free to surf to my web blog - Www.Postpligg.Com

    ReplyDelete