Monday, June 22, 2009

Not-so Great Adventure

Today was a low-energy day. I was invited to go to Six Flags Great America amusement park (like Six Flags in Jackson, N.J!) and was excited about the prospect. But ultimately I declined the invitation. Because of the medications I take to fight sarcoidosis, I get tired as the day wears on.

Who wants to be the one taking a break when the rest of the crew is pushing forward to the water slides? Not me.

Today was a not-so Great Adventure.

I wonder if I can be more quickly weaned off of all these drugs. All of them list drowsiness as a main side effect. Then there is methotrexate, which I take every Tuesday. I feel dizzy and unsteady on these drugs, but I fight through the feeling. Tuesdays are tougher. It feel even dizzier after taking methotrexate. No fun.

I won’t stop taking the drugs until I talk with my doc. Earlier this month, I skipped a prednisone dose. That was a mistake. I won’t make the same mistake again. Also, it would be stupid to stop taking the blood pressure medications since prednisone is also causing my pressure to soar.

But I do want off these drugs so I can live a more normal life (does anyone take natural remedies sans side effects to combat sarcoidosis? I would love to hear from you).

Prednisone and methotrexate both suppress the immune system. It is probably a good idea not be around large crowds, especially loud crowds of children who pass infections the way the L.A. Lakers effortlessly pass a basketball.

…Still…it would have had more fun riding a roller coaster at a theme park than hitting the sheets early.

No comments:

Post a Comment