Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Methotrexate haze

Tuesdays were like any work week day. I hate them. Not close enough to Friday. But over the past few months, I've really come to despise Tuesdays because that's the day I take mexthotrexate, a chemo drug given to me to stem the aggressive swelling of the lymph nodes in my lungs, which had grown to the point that they were blocking oxygen to my lungs and ultimately my heart. Which could have caused a fatal heart attack. Needless to say that is not good.

<span class=Sarcoidosis (2) lymph node biopsy" style="border: medium none ; display: block;" width="300" height="226">Image via Wikipedia

Sarcoidosis sucks. Anyway, I will take the drug and it's side affects - I am experiencing are acne; chills and fever; dizziness; general body discomfort; hair loss (Not a really a biggie for me. See bio pic!) itching; loss of appetite; lowered resistance to infection; nausea; sensitivity to sunlight; sore throat; stomach pain; unusual tiredness. I'm thankful that I don't experience the vomiting. I do wish I was experiencing the loss of appetite. Prednisone is still making me eat everything. I'm tired from all the meds, too, so walking of late has been a struggle. But I'm still going for it. I remain upbeat as possible by remembering I do not have the worst methotrexate side effects, including red, swollen, or blistered skin; seizures; serious infection (herpes, hepatitis, blood infection); trouble breathing; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual pain and discoloration of the skin; vision changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; yellowing of skin or eyes. Tuesdays are tough because the other drugs I am taking to combat prednisone's stimulant side effects make me very sleepy. Tuesdays are almost a wash. Better to stay in bed out of the way so one doesn't have to deal with zig-zagging through speedy traffic along Lake Shore Drive (my favorite road in Chicago. Seriously). But life doesn't allow for many time outs, so I will rise early to eat breakfast, take my meds, do my two-mile walk and get through the rest of the day. Thank God I am tolerating these drugs as well as I am, but I have to admit that they are starting to get to me. And I could be on this regiment for the next six months to a year. Is there anyone out there who has good coping methods when it comes to dealing with any of these medications? I'd sure like to hear from you.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog because I was searching for an old post of mine. I have been on prednisone and methotrexate (also on Tuesdays!!) since 2009 for Autoimmune Interstitial Lung Disease. If you see this, please stay strong and know you're not alone!!
    Dapsone once a day cured the methotrexate acne/sores for me and ambien for the fact that prednisone destroyed what little circadian rhythms I had left.
    I also had about 50,000 recommendations of everything from vitamin C (yeah my immune system is strong enough, thanks!) to yogurt from people with no clue.
    I'm not usually one to post on ancient history blog posts. But you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete