Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"You can pick your nose," but should you?



I am staring at this kid and trying to figure out the book he is reading because…he is digging up his nose. He is going for it. I did not know a pointer finger could be shoved so far up a nostril. If it were an Olympic sport, the with floppy dark hair and wearing a Ramones T-shirt would bring home the gold.

I wrote the preceding while sipping a cup of coffee and checking e-mail at the café at the Barnes & Noble in Howell, N.J. I wish I knew which book the kid handled before he left – oh, it was brand new and he did not buy it. He put it on a shelf somewhere in that store. Chances are no one will catch anything from it, but…hey, the whole episode was disgusting no matter what. I cannot get the image out of my head, so I share it with you. Misery loves company.

The nasty little scene reminds us of the need to be vigilant during the upcoming flu season. It is especially crucial considering the federal governments warnings about the HIN1 flu, commonly referred to as swine flu. On Monday, a White House advisory panel issued a grim prediction that the swine flu could infect half the U.S. population this fall and winter, hospitalizing up to 1.8 million people and killing some 90,000 Americans. That is more than double the number of Americans killed during an average flu season.

According to the report from the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, the virus could cause symptoms in 60 to 129 million people, most of whom would seek medical attention.

Three-hundred-thousand of the sick could need intensive care, which will overtax ICU units across the nation, according to the report. The seasonal flu causes about 36,000 deaths and 200,000 hospitalizations each year. Because swine flu is new and humans have not developed defenses against the virus. Many more people could be infected and many more could die.

The fear is a pandemic. U.S. officials are trying to use tempered language when talking about a possible pandemic, but the world is quietly preparing for one. History teaches us that it is better to be safe than sorry.

I worry about the coming flu season because I have heart and lung sarcoidosis and take medications that fight the symptoms of the disease by suppressing the immune system, preventing the scarring of vital tissue. I am more susceptible to infection while on these medicatons so I do what I can to avoid coming into contact with cold and flu germs, like staying away from places were crowds gather.

(Crap. I want to see Living Colour in concert. I'm gonna have to get my Michael Jackson-amongst-the-crowd on day and wear a surgical mask that day. I've got to see 'em play no matter what!)

The government is racing to get the swine flu vaccine to the market to immunize as many people as possible. A batch will be available by mid-October – and there is a rush to get a batch ready by mid-September. Immediately, there will not be enough for all who want it. People should take advantage of the vaccine, especially older and younger people and people with compromised respiratory systems. Check with your doctor first.

People can also take basic steps to keep from catching and spreading germs and viruses:

* Hand washing. That means soaping them up and vigorously rubbing them while rinsing under warm running water. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says it is crucial to wash hands to prevent illness. However, results of an on-line survey getting tons of news media play show that many people haven't changed their hand washing habits in light of the swine flu outbreak. Fifty-four percent of the people that responded say they "wash their hands no more or less frequently" in public restrooms because of the virus. In addition, 87 percent of respondents wash their hands after using public bathrooms, but one percent of those only rinsed with water.

* Stay at home if you get sick.

* Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Cough into your sleeve - the so-called Dracula cough - and not into your hands.

I’m sure the CDC would also include don’t put booger-drenched fingers all over items that other people might want to handle. Are parents teaching children anything these days? Are we as a society just trying to become as nasty and repulsive as we can?

I’m printing out a copy of this column and going back to the Barnes & Noble in Howell. If I see that nose-picking kid - I say he's a kid; he's in his early 20s. He nose better (I could not resist) - I’m gonna give him a signed autographed copy.

Rude? Maybe it's the prednisone. Or maybe I just don't want someone else's snot on my new purchase.

Remember the old saying, "You can pick your friends. You pick your nose. But you cannot pick your friend's nose?" Well, stay outta your nose, too. Or at least wash your hands afterwards.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment