Friday, August 14, 2009

Cutting oneself some slack

(I shot this today while following my dad along a trail in Lakewood, N.J.)

Thursday, I had a blood pressure reading of 120/80 – the lowest my blood pressure has been in more than a year. My doctors’ goal was to get it to 125/85. I beat that.

Good for the heart and good for the mind. I was worrying a lot about the heart. This development is especially exciting because I am still on prednisone for my pulmonary and cardiac sarcoidosis. I am walking three miles a day and lifting light weights. I am sure that, combined with a reduction in the amount of prednisone I am taking – helped lower the blood pressure.

I’m trying to lose weight because I have obstructive sleep apnea, too, which makes blood pressure soar. I sleep with a CPAC - short for continuous positive airway pressure device (a mask attached to a tube attached to a small, quiet motor - but I want off of it. I am trying to lose weight even though prednisone is working hard against the goal.

Oh, I should give you an update: The pull-ups thing was a miserable failure. I gave it my best shot, but my body was too weak to make good on that promise. I sulked for a while about that and then accepted the fact that I would have to start from scratch to rebuild myself.

My goal is still there. The method is now more practical. Crawl before walking. Walk before running. In New Jersey, I started with a 1-1/2 mile walk. Now I am up to three miles. Every day. I walk with my dad and/or Tobie most of the time. I walk an additional 1-1/2 miles at night with my mom. Tobie’s in tow, too.

My dad caught me obsessing about my weight the other day – prednisone rage. My frustration was off-the-hook. I knew it and could not help myself. I was obsessed with the feeling of failure and futility. “From where I sit, this is a good day,” he said. “Your blood pressure is normal for the first time in a year and your clothes are fitting differently, and you know it.”

He was right. My clothes were looser. I was standing taller. My ample belly…was finally starting to shrink. The water retention, the back fat (prednisone really stinks)....it will go as I continue reducing the prednisone...

Dramatic change will not occur in a weeks or two months. I have to be patient and diligent.

And I have to cut myself some slack.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment