Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dropping weight to be a healthier, better 'dancing bear'

I consider myself a dancing bear, but my doctor and the CDC say I am obese.

OK, I am trying to drop weight. I will drop weight. However, I love being a "dancing bear." Football coaches use the term in describing big offensive and defense linemen who have strength, power and agility. Much like the famed dancing bears exhibited at carnivals back in the so-called Good Old Days.

Big signifies strength. Power. Carry the weight well and you will rarely be tread upon. I am a writer and truly believe the pen is mightier than the sword…but...Well, let’s just say there are a few occasions in life where I was grateful that I was big, strong, quick and able to handle myself.

Never as a bully, mind you. Simply protected myself and friends.

But, 321 pounds was way too much for my 6-3 frame. I gained that weight during prednisone-fueled feeding frenzies after my March hospitalization to treat heart and lung sarcoidosis. Prednisone and methotrexate are reducing the inflammation

Americans are the fattest they have ever been at any point in history and black folks lead the way in this startling category, according to a recent report for the Centers for Disease Control.

The CDC says 36 percent of African-Americans are overweight. Blacks and whites in the South and Midwest are fatter than their blacks and whites in the West and Northeast. Hispanics in the Northeast had lower obesity “prevalence” than Hispanics in the Midwest, South or West.

The study, the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, examines data from 2006 to 2008.

“This study highlights that in the United States, blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately affected by obesity,” says Dr. William H. Dietz, the director of CDC′s Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity, in a press release. “If we have any hope of stemming the rise in obesity, we must intensify our efforts to create an environment for healthy living in these communities.”

Disproportionate amounts of African Americans are poor. Fatty, unhealthy fast food and snacks are cheap and abundant in neighborhoods. Fresh produce and other good foods are scarce.

My situation is driven by prednisone. I know how to eat right, exercise, watch the consumption of empty calories (soda, sweets, chips, etc). For the most part, I stay away from them. I just have to ignore the side effects voice in my head and do the right thing for my health.

I'm rededicating myself to watching what I eat. Friday, I weighed in at 297.8 pounds. I’ve dropped 23.2 pounds – yes. I am claiming the .2! It’s mine! – since the end of April. Not bad if I say so myself. I'm on the right path.

The goal is 250 by the end of the year. A lot of weight to lose, but, according to body-mass indexes, still obese for my height. However, the BMI’s do not take into account my big boned frame. So I must protest.

I’m dropping weight to reduce stress on my lungs and heart, to lower my blood pressure. I have always been big guy, but I admit I need to shed pounds.

Still, I want to be a dancing bear. Just a lighter one.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the weight loss. I could stand to lose a couple of pounds myself. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chicago Gardens. Good luck to you, too.

    - David

    ReplyDelete