Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Saying yes to walking opens up possibilities

(Hi, readers. Enjoy the blog. And tune in Friday for a special announcement. And remember to consult with your doctor before exercising to see what routine might be right for you. Enjoy and peace.)

Every drug I take in my battle against sacroidosis warns that it makes you drowsy or dizzy. I admit that since April, five months into this pharmaceutical regiment, I have been tired and listless. I just want to lie down, pull the blankets over my head and sleep until…whenever. Just sleep.

Instead, I just say yes.

No, silly, not to drugs and certainly not to the side affects of prednisone, methotrexate, Carvedilol, hydralazine , lisinopril and the others.

I say yes to movement, in this case walking. When I do not feel like moving, I move. And when asked to do something physical, I do it.

I am in Lakewood, N.J. with my parents. It took 14 hours to drive here. The morning after the drive, I was beat. Almost beyond exhausted. My dad had energy and invited me to join in on a routine: walking the dog. It is a two- to three-mile walk through a wooded area. Hills, mud, dirt. Challenging for someone who is re-learning how to breathe.

Wanna come? He asked.

No, I admitted to myself. But I said yes as soon as I was asked, jumped up and we hit the trail.

And it was great. Another bonding moment with my dad and the family dog, Tobie, a golden retriever. We walked, talked, laughed. I realized that while I was winded – country walkin’ is sure more challenging than city walkin! – I was going to be better off for it.

Later that day, my mom got home and we walked 1-1/2 miles with Tobie (This dog gets a serious workout. He has legs of steel!). That was a great bonding moment, too.

I took ill in mid-March in Chicago and spent 10 days in the hospital. After I was released, two friends of mine who were also co-workers, Megan Cottrell and Felicia Yonter, made me move. I told them the drugs made me listless, so they had me take baby steps. Let’s walk two blocks to the coffee shop. Megan would say. Let’s take Guinness – the Shepard-mix that belongs to Felicia and her finance, Steve Barrett – for a quick walk.

Baby steps, but always moving. Because the small, unsteady steps can develop into a strong confident stride. Evidence that one is getting better. Stronger.

I say yes to movement because I want to go forward and not backward.

Waning Moon (face)?

People this week are telling me that moon face (the swelling and roundness of the face caused by long-term prednisone use) might is shrinking. Really, I can’t tell. It looks like a big, brown full moon to me…but thank you. I remain hopeful that the condition will soon abate because my docs are reducing the amount of the corticosteroid.

We’ll see how things go.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Looking and reading about the dog in this post, I was thinking, "Maybe David needs a dog?"

    A dog, especially and more than cats, is a social animal. You get out, walk the dog, getting exercise yourself, and also meeting other people.

    Any pet is also a way to extend yourself, to have to be aware of the needs of another. Just a thought David.

    ReplyDelete