Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Checking 'ejection fraction' for heart improvements



(Find a penny, pick it up and all day long you’ll have…goodness only knows how many germs and bacteria on your fingertips…Good luck trumps germs, though, so I pick it up. Hand sanitizer, where are ya when I need ya?

My flu or wicked cold or whatever is finally gone. I feel good so it's back to walking, lifting, and getting as healthy as possible. Does better health translate into better writing? You be the judge…)


“That is the story of the day.”

The cardiologist said the preceding after hearing my answer to his question, “What brings you here?”

I told him about everything leading up to my hospitalization in March with pulmonary and cardiac sarcoidosis. Dr. Charles J. Mattina of Long Branch, N.J., is a good listener. I like his follow up questions and demeanor. He is another doc hired in my on-going fight against the disease.

His role is crucial. Cardiac sarc kills. There is no sugarcoating it. We will know more about my heart after I undergo an echocardiogram. I do know my left ventricle is weak, two thirds weaker than it should be. Doctors at Northwestern Medical Center concluded that the sarcoidosis that scarred my lungs also weakened my heart.

A Northwestern electro-cardiologist recommends the installation of a defibrillator to shock my heart into a normal rhythm in case it beats awry, causing sudden cardiac death. He recommended that action in March, but after careful consideration and getting a second opinion, I am opting to see if prednisone and methotrexate will contain the damage.

I was sick during the winter of '08-09, the coldest winter in Chicago in 30 years. The cold air clamped down my lungs like an icy vice grip. Every breath was piercing pain. Every step, labor. But I went to work - two jobs in fact and did what I had to do to survive. Thanks to my friends I made it through. If I could live through that, I figure I can live through almost anything.

“If I was in your position, I would have made that decision,” said the cardiologist about my strategy.

Thursday, my new cardiologist will test my election fraction, which measures how well the left ventricle functions. This is usually expressed in percentages and the good folks at the Cleveland Clinic explain it pretty well. I’ll try it: With each beat, a normal heart pumps a little more than half its volume. A range of between 50 percent and 70 percent is acceptable. A lower ejection fraction signals problems with the heart, including a heart attack or disease like cardiomyopathy.

My ejection fraction was in the mid-30s when it was last measured in Chicago. I have given up cigarettes, exercise and have been consistent with medications to project the heart. I am eager to see if the situation has improved.

I like my chances, but I am open minded and ready for anything. If we don’t like the results, we’ll try something else. I am not surrendering to sarcoidosis. Too many people to see and too much stuff to do.

...Flu shot: Round two...

I’m going to roll up my sleeve and take the H1N1 swine flu vaccine shot when it becomes available. I won’t be first in line, but I will not be the last. I will do my best to avoid situations where I can get sick, but unless I decide to live in a plastic bubble, I will be out in the world and run the risk of running into someone who sneezes without covering their mouths or..picks their nose and …yuck...wrote about that always you know what grosses us out! I am taking the shot as a precaution. The pros outweigh the con. Let me know what you are doing and why. And good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to get one too - a flu shot. I thought and thought about it. I'm taking care of a baby a lot lately, and I read that precaution that adults taking care of a kid under 6 months should get a shot. So I will get one for baby Ida. And also for me. It sucks to have the flu.

    Hope your echo goes alright. I hope the result is better than the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able with the intention of stumble on a telephone number know how to live wholly straightforward, manifold pages offer the change number option. If you are unsure what cell phone service the caller is with finding the number may well take a number of further effort. Are you on the lookout to facilitate locate a untaken annul mobile phone number lookup directory phone number lookup So is it probable with the intention of offer on hand switch cellular phone number lookup. That is the reason why tracing telephone numbers is expected barely via by means of paid swap lookup directories. Visit us plus expend our invert telephone number search directory. Once a appliance in the home, the cellular phone is at the moment a required personal accessory. You could wonder why these numbers are not free about presented websites reminiscent of AnyWho. So what is your solution intended for finding a mobile number.

    ReplyDelete