Friday, September 4, 2009

Give that man a 'Bruschi'

MIAMI - NOVEMBER 23:  Linebacker Tedy Bruschi ...Image by Getty Images via Daylife

(Note: This is an updated and revised version of today's column. It was rewritten after a much-needed workout. Cleared my head. Thanks for reading. - David)

This "Bruschi" is for everyone who will be on the move this Labor Day Weekend.

Whether you are working out, walking a beach, whatever. I salute you if you move or are motivated to move. While the Bruschi I offer you sounds like the tasty libation, obviously it is not. It is actually the story of Ted Bruschi, a New England Patriots middle linebacker who recently retired.

I love pro football. I am a New York Giants fan (I am overlooking the Giants preseason loss to the Pats. We beat that team when it counted). I am excited to be back in a region where I can simply stumble into people who are Giants fans. No looking for that special NY/NJ bar in the middle of Chicago, or in the middle of nowhere. Here, I go to the super market, people wearing Giants gear. I go to the 24-7 store for coffee, people talking Giants. Awesome.

I love the New York Giants. I hate the New England Patriots. Understand this: I only hate New England sports teams (I won't even hot link to one of their teams. You like Boston teams? Find the link yourself). I love the region of New England. I especially love Greater New Haven, Conn. Lived there for years and want to return. However, I cannot cheer for any team from New England. Can't do it. I am from 'Jersey. It might be in my DNA to hate teams from New England. I’ve tried, but I cannot help it.

However, I am a Bruschi fan because it is inspirational. He was a tough defensive lineman in college. The Patriots drafted him in the third round and converted him to linebacker.

Bruschi was no Lawrence Taylor (left) or Mike Singletary (right). Taylor was a beast. It's hard to imagine Taylor doing anything in life except destroying offenses. Really.

Singletery, now the second-year coach of the San Francisco 49ers, was a fierce tackler. He was/is bright, articulate and a proven leader. Bruschi...I always saw him as an everyman. His surname even sounds like the alcoholic beverage of choice for blue collar Americans...what is left of blue collar Americans anyway. The guy studied hard, worked hard and, when called upon to do so, devastated opposing offenses.

Bruschi's story is one of many from which I draw inspiration to continue my fight against heart and lung sarcoidosis. In 2005, he suffered a stroke. Slow down, they said to him. Take it easy, they said to him. At least you already have one Super Bowl under your belt. I am sure he rested for a while, but he also fought back, reclaimed his health and went on to play in four more Super Bowls with the Patriots. He has five SB rings.

Today, I did not want to work out. I spent the whole week with family, including running my grandmother on errands, and I was spent. However, I forced myself to walk nearly four miles and pumped bar bells because I want to get well and because I know there are people out there who are worse off than me and would kill to just be able to walk down the hallway of a house without getting winded.

I’ve been there. In March before I was hospitalized, I could hardly make it up a flight of steps. I would take breaks after simple tasks like showering, brushing my teeth, washing dishes. I could not scrub a bathroom or mop a floor without taking many breaks. Now I am trying to drop weight (prednisone be damned!) so I can run.

I work out with the likes of Bruschi in mind. I won’t play in a Super Bowl and I am cool with that. The game of life is longer than four quarters and I am in it to win it.

Oh, and I hope I get into good enough shape to start a contracting business helping companies as Office Linebacker. That would be awesome. Chick here to see!

Enjoy the Labor Day Weekend.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment